Old Ruby, the wolf hunter, was a discharged soldier who came from Fort Winnebago (Portage) in 1840 to the Albany area. He was illiterate and loved to roam the hills and river bottoms with his dogs. Reuben hunted wolves and brought their ears to the Monroe County Courthouse to receive a bounty of three dollars a piece. During the cold winters he could usually find a friendly farmer to let him stay in a barn, but at other times of the year Reuben occupied a cave in the side of a bluff along side the Little Sugar River.
In 1886 James Keegan leased the grounds in which Reubin's Cave was carved. He erected a winding wooden staircase encircling the cave from the the Little Sugar River up to the sixty foot bluff at the top and there constructed a dancing pavilion. A small steam boat called the "Mikado" brought townspeople and tourist alike up through Lake Minetka ( the Albany millpond) into the mouth of the Little Sugar and then up the shallow stream to the acclaimed cave. Plans were made for a lookout tower seventy-five feet high on the bluff with a telescope and "electric revolving light of all colors".